Renewal every 3 years; no CE required.
New York Massage Therapist Licensing and Certification Requirements
If you've graduated from a massage school in New York and are interested in practicing massage therapy as your career, it is important to stay up to date on the rules and regulations that apply to massage therapists in New York to verify what the requirements are. Any use of the title "massage therapist" or "masseuse," "masseur," or any derivation of the title, requires licensure as a massage therapist by the New York Massage Therapy Board in order to practice massage therapy within the state of New York.
New York Massage Therapy Board - New License Requirements
Successful applicants for a Massage Therapy license in New York will submit a completed application for licensure and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. Here are the basic requirements and procedures to follow in applying for a new license as a massage therapist in New York State.
To be licensed as a massage therapist in New York State you must:
- Be of good moral character;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Complete high school or its equivalent
- Graduate from a school or institute of massage therapy with a program registered by the New York State Education Department* as licensure qualifying, or its substantial equivalent in both subject matter or extent of training, provided that the program in such school or institute shall consist of classroom instruction with a total of not less than 1000 hours in specific subjects satisfactory to the Department.
- Complete coursework in anatomy, physiology, neurology, myology or kinesiology, pathology, hygiene, first aid, CPR, infection control procedures, the chemical ingredients of products that are used and their effects, as well as the theory, technique and practice of both oriental and western massage/bodywork therapy. Within the 1000 hours of education, you will have had to complete a minimum of 150 hours of practice on a person.
- Have completed a course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) within three years prior to licensure.
- Submit evidence of English proficiency (if applicable).
- There is an experience requirement only for massage therapists licensed in another jurisdiction who seek licensure by endorsement.
- Pass the New York State Massage Therapy Examination. The examination is offered twice annually, in January and August. Before being admitted to the examination, you must have met all requirements for licensure except citizenship. You must file a separate examination scheduling application with CASTLE Worldwide, Inc. The examination scheduling application is available through Castle Worldwide, Inc at:
CASTLE Worldwide, Inc.
Attn: NY Exams
PO Box 570
Morrisville, NC 27560
Phone: 800-655-4845 or 919-572-6880
Your application for licensure in New York State and your application to take the examination must be filed by November 1st to allow you to take the exam in January, or June 1st to allow you to take the exam in August.
Submit an application for licensure and the other forms indicated, along with the fee for licensure and first registration of $108, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. New York also offers a limited permit, which is just $35. New York accepts personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department.
There are no required Continuing Education hours for massage therapist license renewals in New York State, but licensed must be renewed every 3 years.
Begin Your Massage Therapy Career in New York!