Obtain your Alabama Massage License!
Alabama Massage Therapist Licensing and Certification Requirements
If you've graduated from a massage school in Alabama and are interested in practicing massage therapy as your career is important to understand and adhere to the rules and regulations that apply to massage therapists in Alabama.
In the State of Alabama, anyone operating or advertising as a massage therapist, or offering services under the realm of massage therapy is required to be properly licensed by the Alabama Massage Therapy Board. If you desire to open a massage therapy business or establishment in Alabama, or offer massage therapy services within your existing business in Alabama, your business also must be licensed by the Alabama Massage Therapy Board unless specifically exempt.
Alabama Massage Therapy Licensing Requirements
Request Application: Alabama requires that a massage therapist send a request for the licensing application package. The request form is available here. In addition, additional massage therapy licensing information is also available.
The successful applicant for a Massage Therapist License in Alabama will have:
- Official Certification by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB). Here are the requirements of National Certification (note the higher number of educational hours than are currently required for the state of Alabama):
- Complete a minimum of 750 hours of education (includes the core program and subsequently completed continuing education) from an accredited school
- Complete 250 hours of professional hands-on experience over no less than six months from graduation
- Pass the Board Certification exam (The exam may be taken twice within a six-month period, with a 45-day wait between sittings.)
- Affirm their commitment to the NCBTMB Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
- Pass a thorough national background check
- Commit to opposing Human Trafficking
- Obtain a current CPR certification
- Remit the application and exam fees
- Certified transcripts of at least 650 hours from your accredited massage school and verification of your national certification must be submitted along with an Application request form, available under the FORMS section of the Alabama Massage Therapy Board
- There is a $25.00 fee in the form of a Cashier's Check or Money Order that must be turned in with your application as well.
- The Massage Therapy Establishment License requirements are successful completion of the licensure application as outlined above, including evidence of professional liability insurance.
- All applicants must provide evidence of a $1,000,000 Personal Liability Insurance Coverage
- Every two years (biennially) you will need to take 16 hours of continuing education and submit the renewal paperwork and fees.
Begin Your Massage Therapy Career in Alabama!